There are two options open to anyone who worships regularly at The Salvation Army and who wishes to belong to our church. The options are to become a soldier or to become and adherent member.
A soldier signs a Soldier s Covenant.
An Adherent member signs a simpler Certificate of Recognition. This states that the adherent
- Believes in the Lord Jesus Christ and seeks to follow and be like him.
- Participates in the worship, fellowship, service and support of a local Salvation Army.
- Identifies with the mission of The Salvation Army.
Becoming an Adherent Member
Becoming an adherent member is more than just wearing a badge! It s about belonging and believing andâ€¦
- Responding to God s purpose in your life.
- Enjoying fellowship and worship.
- Finding fulfilment in serving others in the name of Jesus Christ
If you want to consider this step in your spiritual journey, we would count it as a privilege to know you, visit you and serve you, and share with you as you follow Jesus Christ. It may be that in the future you will want to become a soldier â€“ That is fine!
How you can belong?
Before becoming an adherent member of The Salvation Army you will need to:
- Be over 14 years of age.
- Meet the definition of adherency (please see Membership Options above)
- Not be an active member of any other religious body.
When you are an adherent member your corps officer/s will be your minister/s. They will be able to conduct various ceremonies: marriage, dedication of children and funeral services. Your name will be on census records as belonging to The Salvation Army.
The Certificate of Recognition will then be presented to you. This will affirm your acceptance as an active member of this international Christian movement founded on the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Want to know more?
If you would like to know more about belonging to The Salvation Army please contact us.